In this edition of our ongoing CarterMatt TV Underdogs series, we’re talking Rafael Barba! Really, there is no better time in order to do so given that we’re coming off of what was one of his best episodes of the show. If you give Raul Esparza something to sink his teeth into, you know that he’s going to hit it out of the park. As a result of that, there are going to be many opportunities to explore things with him moving forward this season.
What are some of the ways in which the SVU writers can have him continue to shine? We’ve got a few suggestions…
1. An epic arc with Philip Winchester – We see the arrival of Winchester as Peter Stone to be a great addition to SVU since it means we could see more of the D.A.’s office — and, in turn, more conflict starting to bubble over between Stone and Barba. Even though these two guys may want the same thing (justice), that doesn’t mean they go about it the same way. Seeing the battle of wits and of egos between these two could prove to be rather entertaining.
2. A standalone court episode – While it wouldn’t be the first time that SVU has focused almost the entirety of an episode around the courtroom, we do like sitting through some of these episodes that are different structurally and play more like stage plays — think in terms of “Something Happened.” Allowing Barba to get his own moment in this sort of vein would mark for a great opportunity for him to shine.
3. More of his life away from his office – Whether it be his family or some of his friends, it’s nice to get a little bit of an update on this subject here and there.
4. A tough career decision – What if Barba is offered a chance to advance up the ladder, and he has to choose between a better-paying job or the one that seems to be his calling? It’s a chance to think about himself in a different sort of context.
5. Expanding on the Benson – Barba relationship – We’re pretty well-known around these parts for ‘shipping Barson, so obviously we’re very much curious to see what a relationship between these two characters could look like. Even if that doesn’t happen, there’s still room to explore a really great friendship between these characters away from the office.
What do you think should happen next for Raul Esparza and his character on Law & Order: SVU? Be sure to share right now in the comments!
Also, be sure to like CarterMatt on Facebook in the event you want to score even more great SVU updates whenever you want them. (Photo: NBC.)Love TV? Subscribe to our YouTube for video updates!
Want more news? Subscribe to the CarterMatt Newsletter!