It only took nine years, but on Saturday the cast of “How I Met Your Mother” got together for their first panel at Comic-Con in San Diego, and they also seemed to have a pretty good time dishing on some of the events that will be coming up down the road this year.
With that, let’s start things off here by giving the general details on the new season (per Carter Bays and Craig Thomas) before getting to the specifics. This season will be comprised of flashbacks and also flash-forwards to go along with some events in the present, and the hope is to make Barney and Robin’s wedding “beautiful,” but also funny in the vein that you expect from the show.
Now, let’s turn to a number of specific scoops that we heard about courtesy of the cast:
1. Wayne Brady will be back for multiple episodes, but the sad news is that his character James will be going through a divorce.
2. Producers were cagey about another Robin Sparkles appearance, but they did not flat-out deny it.
3. There is hope that Robin’s mom will surface at some point, given that she is one of the few absent parents that we have on the show.
4. No one has forgotten about the need to finish the slap bet … no one.
5. There are going to be plenty more in the way of guest stars coming up on the show.
6. Jason Segel had very nice things to say about Alyson Hannigan, and said that he liked that there is a happy couple on TV that people can relate to.
7. Yes, Cobie did sing “Let’s Go To the Mall” to the audience.
Hopefully, we’ll have some video goodness to share from this panel soon. For now, just be sure to click here if you want to read some more news and highlights straight from this year’s convention.