‘The X Factor’ USA: Khloe Kardashian, format, and other quick fixes
Earlier this season, “The X Factor” USA was worthy of praise for presenting some interesting audition rounds. Having no hosts took away the most useless part of the show, and we had more of an opportunity to see the contestants in their element, and not have to answer canned questions that are on every reality show known to mankind. In addition to that, there were judges that, by and large, actually wanted to judge.
However, life has changed since the show went live. How much so? It’s almost become tiresome to watch, and it makes us almost pine for the days of season 1 save for Nicole Scherzinger and Paula Abdul. The issues with the show now are possible to fix, and they can be done by the time the show airs next week; it’s just not clear if producers is going to be too stubborn to make them.
1. Put Khloe Kardashian backstage – Since you can’t go back in time here and just scrap the hosts altogether, let’s make the best of this situation. Khloe cannot read a teleprompter, and the way she starts every sentence with “yes!” before finishing her thought is so grating it calls for the mute button. We’re not even saying this as one of those prototypical Kardashian haters; she has a fun personality, and giving her a more natural venue backstage could be useful. Not only could she be herself, but so could the contestants away from all of the lights and the constant panic.
2. More opinions from Britney, please! – Britney Spears is paid $15 million for one season of the show. Thus far, she has given about one-sentence answers to the vast majority of the contestants. We get the feeling that she is just giving her critique every time while thinking “it’s almost over” in her brain. Britney needs to open up, and then the other judges will feed off of that. If you’re the biggest pop star on the planet, why not share some of your experiences with the contestants? There’s no one out there with more to share or a larger capacity to help.
This note goes for all judges: what gives with not explaining why you are voting to send someone home? Yes, this segment can drag, but you need some sort of explanation, and the contestants are worth that. Basically, you cut out Jason Brack finding out why Simon Cowell didn’t want him around for something horrendously below…
3. Integrate the ads better – It’s inevitable that you are going to have advertisements during the show these days, but can’t you make them a little less obvious than making the most-popular boy band in the world stand on stage talking about Pepsi? We feel for Mario Lopez that he had to keep a straight face with this. “American Idol” is the master of this with the Coco-Cola interviews and the Ford Music Videos. Even though the ads are there, they are presented in a way that is sleek and still remains natural to the show.
4. New songs – “I Have Nothing” by Whitney Houston should be retired. Forever.
5. Tone it down – Sometimes, less is more … and there could definitely be more of this spirit versus the loud colors, blaring crowd, and strobe lights here. If every performance is a Super Bowl halftime show, then none of them will feel exciting.
What do you think is the biggest problem weighing down the “X Factor” USA shows right now? If you want to see the theme along with other details for last week, be sure to head over to this link.
November 11, 2012 @ 3:36 am
Cece needs an undo- makeover like yesterday or else adios CeCe.
Jennel if nothing else, lose the bangs. (PSA to all women. bangs are terrible) Your man told you he liked them? Hint:: we lie, keep it between us.
Paige, why is she still here? Oh right. i forgot she’s great looking.
November 10, 2012 @ 5:53 pm
I think Kloe Kardashian looks great and does a fine job. She is also dressed nice. Keep her on the show. She is a credit to the show.
November 10, 2012 @ 9:25 am
I would go one step more and fire Khloe K she is a terrible host and in the real world if you were not good at your job you would get fired Alot of people are not watching the show just because she is hosting so time to go Khlo.
Yes Brittany needs to actually act lke she wants to be in that judging seat.
I don’t like CeCe’s haircut at all. But Demi is O.K.
Now I find myself watching the Voice It’s a much better show.
November 10, 2012 @ 8:40 am
You’re right about so many things. I agree about Khloe. She is actually the only Kardashian I genuinely like, her personality is hilarious! I would like to see her quick wit backstage, interviewing.
Also, the loud colors!!! YES, they bothered me too. I hated it. All the strobe lights, the smoke machines, RIDICULOUS. If anything, they should only save the cool special effects for the finale.
And about Britney, she’s actually turning out to be quite a good mentor. I was hesitant at first, but she took in the critiques from last week and came back the strongest this time around. Arin Ray needs some voice lessons.
Although I know it’s too late in the game, Demi Lovato should be FIRED. She’s a terrible mentor. Her acts have lost their personalities. She’s made them over to be clones. That hideous haircut she gave Jennel, we want her girl next door charm back! Dyeing CeCe’s hair killed me! I loved that confident brunette with the cheetah prints that walked in day 1. Also, she should be doing more stripped back performances, like what she did at Judge’s Houses. It was awesome. Paige Thomas is beautiful, but I never thought she was a good singer. End of Story.