As we approach the American Idol top 5 episode this weekend, it’s time to pose the question: Who’s in the best spot? Is Alejandro Aranda going to win? What about Laine Hardy? Does everyone have a shot? Realistically, no. We do think that we’re in a three-person race at the moment, and there’s enough room for change through the remainder of the season that we could see a number of surprises.
If you look below, you can see our full rankings — ones based on performance quality, overall popularity, voting history, and also this time around social-media fan support. We’ve also got another video below exploring this further — if you enjoy this, remember to subscribe to CarterMatt on YouTube right away! We also have an official American Idol playlist that we certainly think is worth your time.
5. Laci Kaye Booth – You can’t really argue with results, and the results at the moment dictate that Lacy is the contestant in the highest degree of overall jeopardy. she was just saved by the judges, and there’s no guarantee that because of that, she can avoid danger moving forward. The one thing that’s helping her? That she may get a little bit of a bump because of the danger that she was just in.
4. Wade Cota – He’s coming off of arguably his best performance of the entire live shows, but that doesn’t change the fact that we’ve been worried about his future for much of the past few weeks. It’s going to be for him about finding some more coop songs to do, and we’d argue that going in sort of a swampy, New Orleans blues sort of direction is the best thing that he can do for himself. Go for haunting songs over happy or predictable songs.
3. Madison VanDenburg – It’s hard to dispute the claim that Madison is the best singer still in the competition, and she’s never really been in any significant danger all season long. Yet, we don’t think she’s had the best run over the past couple of weeks. She needs to do something over the next few weeks to regain a little bit of her vocal footing, whether that means trying a different sort of song or emphasizing emotion more than power.
2. Laine Hardy – Laine’s charted extremely well through most of the season, and he and Alejandro are really neck and neck as to who could end up winning this show at the very end of it. As of right now, though, we’re seeing Alejandro slightly ahead in some fan polls, and we have to look at YouTube views as a sign of enthusiasm, as well. Of course, we do think that casual voters may favor Laine and this is a decision that could go down to the wire.
1. Alejandro Aranda – With his original song “Poison,” we think he had an opportunity to do something that we’ve been waiting to see from him on this show again — a performance that accents his musicality and ability to create a unique experience. That’s something that nobody else on this show can replicate and we know that he’s got an incredibly loyal following, as well. Based on what we’re sensing right now, we could be seeing an intense finale showdown — and Alejandro has his mojo back.
For more American Idol updates…
Be sure to head over to the link here, as that’s where you can read our most-recent results piece. Meanwhile, share in either the poll/the comments below who you’re rooting for. (Photo: ABC.)