Sunday night is bringing you the top 6 performance show on American Idol, and it is going to deliver hopefully some of the best originality and vocal ability so far. The contestants need all of it! There’s nowhere to hide anymore since all of the obvious contestants to be eliminated have been eliminated. You’re left instead with a small field of super-gifted people who all have sizable fan followings.
With that said, which audience is the biggest? Who is the most likely to take home the title? We’ve got the latest rankings below, alongside a reminder that these are based on 1) performance quality, 2) perceived fan base size, and 3) past voting history for similar contestants. If you like this written discussion, be sure to also check out our video below! On the other side of this, remember to subscribe to CarterMatt on YouTube right away, and be sure to view our official show playlist.
6. Wade Cota – It’s hard to put Wade anywhere else on the list after being almost in danger of going home this past episode. We’ve said this for a while and hold true to it — while we still think that the guy’s got some vocal chops, he also hasn’t had many songs that really test or push him. While we don’t think it’s impossible for him to get to the next phase of the competition, he’s going to need a huge, firework-worthy performance (no, not “Firework” from judge Katy Perry) to get him there.
5. Laci Kaye Booth – This is where we really start to have a hard time with this. Personally, we think that Laci’s one of the best overall performers this season — she’s got a great voice, a unique sense of artistry, and everything that she does just feels and sounds pure. So why have her so low? We’re just not sure she’s getting the hype; she may almost be too low-key at the moment for her own good.
4. Alejandro Aranda – It’s been hard over the past week to sort of separate our view of Alejandra as this enormously talented guy, one of the most gifted in the history of the show, with the specific performances that he’s had. Save for his original, we’re not sure that he’s really felt like himself for a number of weeks now. He’s gotta find a way to get the arrangement right and maybe even push away from the backing band in favor of doing his own thing.
3. Madison VanDenburg – While Madison has been a vocal powerhouse for a lot of this season, she had a rare stumble with “The Show Must Go On” — a performance where she was not necessarily perfect. Can she surprise still and surge ahead on a season that seems to be dominated online by conversation of a lot of the male singers? We know that she’s going to bring it — she’s been a model of consistency the past few weeks.
2. Laine Hardy – One of the things that we’re starting to put a little more stock in is the size of various fan followings out there and at the moment, there’s no denying that Laine’s is massive. He’s got a huge audience of people out there who dig what he’s doing and a little bit of his retro rock ‘n roll style. Depending on his song choices moving forward, it’s almost impossible to really forget about him as a winner pick.
1. Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon – While he may still to mix up his songs a little bit more, how do you get away from what he’s done? How do you look away from his incredible voice, his moving story, or his ability to completely take you in to Planet Jeremiah any moment that he is singing? What Jeremiah is offering is a skill so few others have in this competition. The guy is special, and he’s certainly going places after the show.
For more on this past episode of American Idol…
Head over here to read more of our take on all of the singers!
Who are you rooting to see win American Idol? Be sure to share right now in the attached comments. (Photo: ABC.)