As we start to look towards America’s Got Talent season 14, what are some of the different things that NBC should look at changing?
One of the things that is worth noting here is that there shouldn’t really be some inherent need to change a lot about the talent competition, mostly because a lot of what the show is doing is rather great as it is. Yet, at the same time we do think that there is more that can be done to effectively lift it to the next level. Some of these changes are little, but still very much worthwhile.
New Video – Check out some more insight that we have on the subject of the series’ future; meanwhile, remember to subscribe to CarterMatt on YouTube for more.
1. A larger songbook for singers – While we don’t necessarily think that singers need a lot of help on the show, at least they should be able to do more than just some of the standard covers we hear on reality TV all of the time.
2. Better Golden Buzzer editing – We don’t know why NBC seems to think that slow motion before the buzzer press helps anything. To us, the best Golden Buzzers are the ones that happen in the blink of an eye so there’s some element of surprise. Take, for example, how Olivia Munn handled Angel City Chorale, or how Neil Patrick Harris handled Piff the Magic Dragon. Also, can you air Golden Buzzers in a place other than the end of the audition episodes?
3. Give more love to freakshow / danger acts – One of the reasons they never do well is because they’re never promoted / placed in a way that makes them feel like they are worthy of a ton of votes. We wonder what would happen if they were given the same amount of love as singers.
4. Fewer canned phrases from the judges – We don’t want to hear “it’s not good news — it’s great news” on reality TV ever again, and the same goes for “I didn’t like it — I LOVED it.” Keep the criticism fresh or just edit it out altogether.
5. Give a more honest perspective – For example, why not admit that contestants have done other reality shows before? Or, explain that certain acts are eliminated before Judge Cuts for various reasons, even if they made it through auditions? We do wish that there was more transparency about the rules so everyone was on more of a level playing field.
What would you change leading into America’s Got Talent season 14? Be sure to share right now in the attached comments!
Also, remember to like CarterMatt on Facebook in the event you want to get some other news when it comes to the series. (Photo: NBC.)