Who is going to win America’s Got Talent season 12? Over the past several days we’ve spotlighted all of the remaining contestants, and we’re now in the home stretch of ranking all of the contenders. The next day or so will prove to be rather interesting as the public makes their final choice. We do think that there is a clear favorite to take home the title in the end, but with this show there is also a small degree of unpredictability where (almost) anything can happen.
As for how we’re ranking the finalists at this point, think a combination of factors: Performance quality, screen time, background, and past voting history both with this season and with similar acts in the past.
10. Kechi – She was the recipient of the Dunkin’ Save in order to make it to this point, and while she may be very good, we do think that she’ll be swallowed up amidst this season of fairly similar performers on the night.
9. Diavolo – They’re going to bring a whole lot of danger and energy to the show, but our sentiment at the moment is that this is the sort of act that will make a killing in Las Vegas even if people don’t have enough of an emotional connection to vote for them to win here.
8. Chase Goehring – Chase doesn’t have the emotional background of some of the people ahead of him on this list, but he does have a lot of creativity, humor, and songwriting talent. We’ve said this before, but we actually think he doesn’t need to win and has gotten out of the show exactly what he needed to in order to move his career further.
7. Evie Clair – We don’t think that she will necessarily want to come on the show tonight and make a big story out of her father’s passing, but it is a part of her reality that cannot be ignored and, inevitably, will help her with some votes. In the end, though, we don’t think she can be judged based solely on tragedy, but we do hope she finds healing through this and plenty of support.
6. Sara & Hero – While it’d be fun to see her crack the top five or the top three, in some ways making it this far is a victory unto itself. America hasn’t had many of these “dancing dog” acts, and she was able to come on the show and present something that was incredibly fun and inspirational for people out there and love their pets.
5. Angelica Hale – Young singers often do well, and with that you have to remember that she hasn’t even been in danger just yet. In what universe does she actually end up not getting a lot of votes after the finale?
4. Light Balance – Our perception at the moment is that it’s almost 99% certain that someone in the top three is going to win this season. These guys are the sleeper pick just because they are almost the anti-singer vote. Sure, there are other non-singers in this group, but we think that America is really going to get behind then for doing something that is so different and unique.
3. Preacher Lawson – We love great comedians as much as anyone, and the good news is that America’s Got Talent often feels the same way … to a certain extent, since they often make it to the top three and rarely ever win. The biggest reason Preacher should have hope is because some other singers may split the vote.
2. Mandy Harvey – She’s not only one of the best singers in the field, but she is also probably the best overall vessel for her music. She carries with her emotion in a way that few other performers do, and it’s not just about her story. Even if she could hear, the emotional impact would be the same.
1. Darci Lynne – You have to remember that for so many people out there, Darci is completely unique and different from anything they’ve seen before. Terry Fator was all the way back in season 2, and even if you saw him, you’re probably well aware that she has a comparable talent and sense of humor about her act.
Turning this over to you
Who do you want to see win America’s Got Talent season 12? Be sure to share your thoughts on that subject in the comments, and head over here to see all of our different America’s Got Talent finalist spotlights from the past several days. (Photo: NBC.)