We’re a forward-thinking culture, and with that, it’s not altogether unusual that we are thinking ahead to Outlander season 4.
For the sake of this article, we want to give you everything that is important to know so far about this season of the show, and also everything that will be important down the road.
1. It’s already been ordered by Starz – The network decided to issue a two-season renewal to the show last year, which definitely made matters so much easier for season 4 given that this is truly a year-round production. Hopefully, this trend will continue and we’ll get an early season 5 renewal later this year when season 3 airs. It’s certainly helpful for them to plan ahead.
2. Locations are being scouted – Early signs suggest that filming for most of the season will take place in Scotland, and that places are being pinned down to serve as the show’s version of America. This makes sense given that they can use the same crew that they have for most of the run. Moving locations around is expensive, and you’re not always able to use the same people that you have trust in. Some crew traveled to South Africa for season 3, but not all of them.
3. The writers room is already thinking over ideas – The new season is based on the Diana Gabaldon book Drums of Autumn, and they are meeting in Los Angeles to discuss ways to adapt that book to screen. Executive producer Matthew B. Roberts on Twitter already alluded to pulling double duty as he works on this show while also working on wrapping up the third season before it premieres this fall.
4. Casting for the new season has not begun – This is something that is going to happen when filming gets a little closer to happening. You don’t want to cast too early and then have some changes in production down the road. That’s when things are going to start to get a little bit complicated. (Of course, the exception to the rule here are a pair of dogs that were already cast and are being trained for the show.)
5. There is no publicly-known production start time – It’s possible that it will begin filming later this year, but we don’t think it would be until after the season 3 premiere and press tour in September.
6. Possible premiere dates – If the current tradition holds, odds are we’re looking either at a start in fall 2018 or early 2019. Much of that depends on the length and start time of season 4 production.
Once we have more news on Outlander season 4, of course we’ll have more over at the link here! (Photo: Starz.)