Haven’t you heard? “Gotham” season 2 is coming to a close on Fox Monday night, and for the sake of this article, we’re going to play the role of architect in order to determine how this much-improved Fox show, which may be at present the best superhero show on network TV, manages to have the most appealing finale possible, and also sets the strongest foundation for season 3.
There are no spoilers ahead; instead, it’s all speculation in order to prepare yourself more for what should be a thrilling, action-packed way to say goodbye to this season.
1. Don’t kill Hugo Strange – Also, don’t kill anyone who could be of particularly significance to the Batman world. We cannot imagine moving on without Mr. Freeze, for example, given that his greatest / most terrifying work is still to come.
2. Kill Fish Mooney – We don’t know exactly why we even needed to have her back, given her arc was tied together so neatly at the end of season 1. Also, we have not really seen her do anything yet other than look menacing. As for other villains, the jury’s still out on Firefly. Sure, the character is a Batman villain, but it’s a very different take than what “Gotham” has going on. They’re basically two different people at this point.
3. Give us Lee Thompkins! – Or at least some evidence that she could return to the show someday. We know that Morena Baccarin has been on maternity leave, but we hope the producers managed to maybe get some footage of her before she left.
4. Include the Penguin once more – It’s remarkable that this season has been so strong given that it really has not been the best year for Oswald. Other than what he did to the Van Dahl family, is there anything that notable from him in the past several episodes?
5. Tease your new Big Bad – Maybe it’s Clayface, since you’ve barely done anything with this character just yet. Maybe it’s Mad Hatter, since he was promised as a villain a rather long time ago. Just give us someone we can be excited for / fear in the leadup to the third season.
6. Captain Harvey Bullock – More of this please. Also, more of Donal Logue, who is a series regular but you wouldn’t quite know it based on air time. (On a separate note, remember when it looked like we’d be getting a lot of Harvey Dent this season?)
There’s a fun video from Bruce Wayne himself in David Mazouz that you can check out here; maybe it’ll help you get ready for the finale, as well! Also, sign up at this link to score some other TV news on all we cover, sent right over to you via our CarterMatt Newsletter. (Photo: Fox.)