If there is one word to describe the sort of nominations that the 2014 SAG Awards put out there on Wednesday, it would be as such: Predictable. You had “30 Rock” (again), more love for “Boardwalk Empire” and “Downton Abbey,” and a complete avoidance of most everything that is new TV.
While we could be here all day talking about every little thing that the show ignored, we’ve at least managed to single out ten things that we personally find to be the most egregious omissions right now.
1. “Mad Men” – We know that season 7 was not amazing, but to give the show nothing? That definitely qualified as a big shock.
2. “Orange Is the New Black” – This Netflix show had so many people talking, except apparently for SAG Voters.
3. “Girls” – The awards show darling from a year ago failed to get any love for Lena Dunham, despite season 2 being arguably much better than season 1.
4. Tatiana Maslany – Once again, the “Orphan Black” star is probably the award show’s most horrendous snub of all.
5. “Parks and Recreation” – Nothing for either Amy Poehler or the show, which may not have all that much life in it at this point.
6. “The Americans” – One of the finest new shows on TV, ignored for some other series that were not as good this year.
7. “Bates Motel” – See above.
8. “New Girl” – Nothing for the show, Zooey Deschanel, Max Greenfield, or Jake Johnson. There were really some surprises here almost all around.
9. Michelle Dockery – Out of everyone from “Downton Abbey,” Maggie Smith gets the nod despite not having that much to do.
10. The “Sons of Anarchy” stunt team – We know that the FX show gets perennially snubbed, but this stunt team really should have gotten some love for all the work that they do.
You can view the full list of nominations here, along with some analysis for the major categories.
Photo: TNT / TBS