As we move into the next season of The X Factor, what are some of the things that need to change? That is the subject for this particular article! We’ve tried to keep many of our thoughts relatively on-topic to the contestants, but this really a chance to actually change things up a little bit and discuss the production itself.
Related X Factor video! – Be sure to get some more thoughts on this subject in video form at the bottom of this article! Meanwhile, remember to subscribe to CarterMatt on YouTube for more news and check out our official show playlist.
1. More live shows – We really don’t think there are enough to get a great sense of who people truly are, and this is the most important part of the show. If you have to cut back on some other parts of the show to make that happen, make that happen.
2. Scrap the six-chair challenge – It’s so anti almost the remainder of the show, mostly because it emphasizes so much one singer being directly better than the other. It’s just mean in that way and we never have found it particularly enjoyable to watch. With all of this said, we would keep the Golden X twist, and we’d just shift the middle portion of the competition to something where a judge makes the decision on the acts to put through at the end beyond the recipient of the X.
3. The judges themselves – If we had it our way, we’d probably swap out Ayda either with someone who is either super-current on the radio or someone who just has an extensive recording career and can bring a lot of different insight and perspective into the mix. With that said, we don’t necessarily hate her being on the panel so long as she’s giving time to the contestants. That really matters more than just about anything else. These are people are supposed to guide the contestants and be reasonably entertaining on TV. That’s it. We just don’t want to change the panel too much since consistency matters.
4. Alter some theme weeks – Do we really need to see Movie Week ever again? We’d rather see themes that are more about contestants adapting either specific genres, or picking songs that they have an emotional attachment to for some reason — these are both better than something that is super-contrived and we’ve heard a ton of times before.
5. Change the elimination structure – Until at least the final four, nobody should go home automatically. What we’d do is shift over to something where all three artists in the bottom get to perform a song for their lives, and then the public votes on someone to advance. Then, the judges pick from the other two.
What would you change on The X Factor moving forward? Be sure to share right away in the attached comments! (Photo: ITV.)