As many of you out there know, we love firefighter-based television. We also love the Grey’s Anatomy world. With that, it was a thrill to be able to be on the set today for Station 19, the upcoming Grey’s Anatomy spin-off that is going to be premiering on ABC with new episodes on Thursday night.
Over the course of the next couple of days, we’re going to be sharing some various tidbits alongside quotes from the cast. To kick things off, though, we figured that we would share five different interesting factoids we learned about the show during the tour.
1. Firefighter history is important – Showrunner Stacy McKee noted that there were little elements of the Station 19 firehouse, whether it be an old bell or photos from the past, that honor the fictional firehouse’s legacy. That’s something that she took from a visit to Seattle before filming the show.
2. There are special terms for various rooms – For example, the kitchen / dining area is called the beanery. Meanwhile, the garage is actually referred to as the “barn” — that makes sense given that firefighters used to arrive in horse-drawn carriages.
3. Even fictional firefighters get exhausted from the heavy equipment – Multiple cast members said the biggest thing that helps them after strenuous workdays is rather simple: Sleep. Specifically, a lot of sleep.
4. There is a personal connection to real firefighters – Cast member Danielle Savre’s sister is a real-life firefighter within the Los Angeles Fire Department, and she serves both as a great source of information, a double for some of the scenes, and also an emotional connection.
5. Shonda Rhimes is still very much involved – While the Shondaland head was not present for the set visit, she still contributes feedback and has a wonderful person in McGee running the ship who was with Grey’s Anatomy from the first season.
Remember that Station 19 premieres before long, and we’re going to have even more updates on the series — including more from the set — soon.
For some more news related to Station 19…
Be sure to like CarterMatt on Facebook right now! (Photo: ABC.)