The unfortunate news at the moment is that the Shadowhunters season 3 premiere is a rather long time away — it’s likely not airing until January. However, why let that stop us from saying what we want to see?
In this new edition of our Premiere Wishlist series here at CarterMatt, our goal is to map out some of the essential events that need to happen over the premiere episode in order to not only further along the story, but satisfy the fans. Given the lengthy hiatus between seasons, we do think that there is a certain degree of fan service and payoff that you do need to provide.
1. What’s the status of Clary and Jace? – Clace fans are expecting a lot given that the couple finally got together at the end of the second season … or at least seemingly so. It would be silly to make the assumption that they’re ready to settle down and get married in the premiere; instead, we want to see what it’s like for the two of them both working together and being in a relationship. That’s a lot of time to spend with a single person, and that can prove to be rather overwhelming.
2. Introduce Lilith early – We know already that the character is going to serve as the Big Bad for the third season (or at least part of it), so why waste your time given that we know she’s out there? Even if she doesn’t interact with the Institute right away, set a foundation here to build off of in the second half of the season.
3. The development of Magnus and Alec – These two, unlike Clace, have been in a relationship long enough that they can think more in terms of larger commitments. We want them moving more in that direction. They’ve already gone through big obstacles as a couple, and while we don’t want them to have a drama-free existence (conflict is good for relationships, and for television), they should be at a point now where they are treated as a long-term couple.
4. More Maia – If the character is going to be a regular part of the third season, don’t shy away from that and offer some hints of how you plan to use her throughout the upcoming episodes.
5. One big surprise nobody sees coming – Maybe it’s the return of a character nobody sees coming, or maybe there’s a shocking death by the end of the premiere. You need to set the tone early that this is a season that will hold nothing back, even if it happens in a brutal way.
What is on your own personal Shadowhunters season 3 premiere wishlist?
Now’s the chance to let us know your thoughts in the comments! Also, head over to the link here to see some recent season 3 teases revolving around Clace and Malec — the show won’t be shying away from the ‘ships, even if there will always be a ton of action and drama going on at the same time. (Photo: Freeform.)