Some of the biggest names in music are set to hit the stage on Sunday night. Offering up hardware to the most popular entertainers in the world, the Grammys rarely disappoints the fans. Add to that the celebrities that are promising big performances, music will once again be honored. The 2017 Grammys producers have hinted that there will be special Prince and George Michael tribute segments and performances too.
So how much do you know about the Grammys? We compiled a shortlist of seven things you probably didn’t know about this awards show. You can use these cool facts at your Grammy Awards TV viewing party and be the wisest person in the room. Unless of course, you share these with your friends and family before the party (and then you’ll all be wise.)
- Each Grammy trophy is gold-plated and is modeled after a gramophone. What is a gramophone? Technically it is old-fashioned term for a record player.
- Believe it or not, Elmo has won three Grammys. This fun loving puppet from Sesame Street has taken home, Best Musical Album for Children in 1999, 2000, and 2002.
- Grammys are not transferable and so an artist can’t technically sell the award. A Grammy award is a very special commodity so once an individual wins the award, it’s theirs forever.
- Grammy Award ceremonies have been televised since 1971. Before the broadcast of the TV show, there were award dinners held at different locations simultaneously on the same day giving out the awards.
- Only one musical act has had their Grammy award revoked. It is Milli Vanilli.
- There are over 35 Grammy parties planned during the Grammys weekend in 2017. Artists, record labels and others are hosting some of the biggest celebrations for the entertainers.
- This year there are 30 Grammy fields and 83 categories within those fields being honored. On February 12, the 2017 Grammys will be handing out dozens of awards to honor musicians, singers and entertainers.
Do you have any obscure Grammy facts you want to share with us? Leave us a comment in the box below! We will be covering the Grammys here at CarterMatt so be sure to bookmark the link here to get in on all the action.