‘American Idol XIV’ rankings: Where Sarina-Joi Crowe, Jax, Joey Cook stand going into Wednesday’s show
Wednesday night, “American Idol XIV” is going to have its hands full. In an hour of TV, you are going to meet the entire top 12, from the ten chosen by America to the two chosen as wildcards by the judges. This should be interesting to see unfold, especially since with the remaining women there is some serious wiggle room. We’ve got our picks below; note that this will be the last week that we rank the men and women together. After that, we’re going down to the top ten!
The two contestants left out from our top six are Alexis Gomez and, narrowly, Loren Lott. We would have switched her and Adanna out had Loren been just a smidgen better on this past performance.
6. Adanna Duru – Last week, we didn’t think that she was even going to advance. This time around, she deserves to be in the top 12. We’re still not entirely sure she is the most memorable contestant on the show, but she has a nice sleeper thing going on right now.
5. Maddie Walker – It’s almost unfair to punish Maddie too greatly coming out of Motown, given that she probably had to go further out of genre than anyone. However, what we did see with “I’ll Be There” is that her voice is good enough to really do any song. As she starts to find more and more creative ways to interpret songs, that should help her drastically.
4. Tyanna Jones – She was plagued slightly this past week by a not-so-wonderful song choice, but she did almost everything that she could with “Rockin’ Robin.” She may be young, but she’s proving to be one of the younger contestants who can really handle the competition.
3. Joey Cook – We feel like there are two clear frontrunners among the women, and the rest could change almost every week. Joey hasn’t necessarily blown us away yet with a performance, but we really like individuality at this stage in the game. We’re excited to see what she’s going to do every single week.
2. Jax – What we learned about Jax’s last performance of “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” is that not every song completely suits her style. The good news is that she won’t be forced to do Motown every week. What we also learned about this is that she is a pretty brilliant self-marketer. By wearing #TheDress, she received more publicity than any other contestant this season so far.
1. Sarina-Joi Crowe – We’ve already stated that we’re very partial to Jax’s artistry, but we cannot ignore what Sarina-Joi has done vocally the past two weeks. She’s killed it two straight times, hit every note, and proved that she has worked every year after being told no by the judges / producers. While we love some of the guys this year, we wouldn’t be mad if this was the final two.