In honor of this being the fifth season of “Downton Abbey,” it seems appropriate that we continue our tradition of providing five teases for each upcoming episode prior to them airing in America on PBS. There are no significant spoilers ahead, but these should still give you a reasonable idea of what to expect.
Let it be known that if you really feel tempted for some reason to just spoil all the fun for yourself, you can just go over here and read our review from when the show aired on ITV in the fall of last year. Don’t say that we didn’t warn you here!
1. Mary (Michelle Dockery) is going to make a very bold choice when it comes to her personal life, and this is not something that would be viewed positively by much of the old British establishment. Therefore, secrecy may be key to it working correctly.
2. After all of the devastation last week, Edith (Laura Carmichael) finds a way to turn around her fortunes … but will it stick?
3. Bates (Brendan Coyle) went through a heck of a lot near the end of last season, but as we are going to learn in this episode, his personal life with Anna (Joanne Froggatt) is not about to find stability.
4. Expect further conflict between Robert (Hugh Bonneville) and Tom (Allen Leech), who is torn between two worlds.
5. Thomas (Rob James-Collier) is going to be so down in the dumps, he’s not going to be able to enjoy a major advancement in technology. Expect this one to linger for a while.
We’ll be back tomorrow to highlight a particular moment of consequence from this “Downton Abbey” episode, and you will be able to read all about it over at the link here. Also, be sure to sign up today if you are curious in getting some other TV scoop sent over to you via our CarterMatt Newsletter. (Photo: ITV.)