‘American Idol XIII’ review: Savion Wright, Munfarid Zaidi, Jess Meuse vs. group roundFebruary 6, 2014
There is no part of “American Idol” that causes more drama than Group Round … and also no round that causes more confusion. There are so many people in such a short amount of time that instead of trying to feature every contestant, we’re taking a little bit of a different approach here in just highlighting what we feel are the five most-interesting moments of the entire hour.
5. Stage mom – Can we all agree that Stephanie’s mother is the most horrible person on the entire season? What a rotten person she was! Truth be told, we’ve run into people like this before, who are so upset and angry over their child (who they are living vicariously through) getting eliminated that they lash out at people, even when it is not their fault. We would be so embarrassed if we were Stephanie, especially with her mom dancing in the aisle like this was an episode of “Toddlers & Tiaras.” Ugh.
4. Jess Meuse – The target of stage mom, for no apparently reason other than that she got through while Stephanie didn’t. Did Jess have a ton of help from her team after she found a group at the last second? Sure, but Stephanie was not sent home because Jess was good.
3. Munfarid Zaidi – The “Cradle Guy” did something really classy tonight: Speaking for a fellow group member who had lost her voice, and he wanted to protect her. He’s still one of our favorites.
2. Christina Collins – We vaguely remember Christina, but this was one of the best solo vocals of the entire evening. To think that it came from such a dysfunctional group singing “I Want You Back” (a brutal song to remember) is even more surprising.
1. Savion Wright – We’re probably still affected greatly by that story that he told last night about his brother, mostly because it is so different than what we’re accustomed to seeing from sad stories on this show. But he has such a great voice, and seems like such a caring guy. Episode Grade: B.
What did you think about the ground round, and did your favorite advance? Share your thoughts below, and hit up this link if you want to see a review of the episode from last night. Also, sign up now for our CarterMatt Newsletter if you want to get even more highlights.