In a statement this weekend, the network confirmed that they have pulled the upcoming season of Talking with Chris Hardwick for the time being. Meanwhile, Hardwick will not moderate any of his previously-planned panels (including for The Walking Dead and Doctor Who) at San Diego Comic-Con next month. Check out their full statement below:
“We have had a positive working relationship with Chris Hardwick for many years … We take the troubling allegations that surfaced yesterday very seriously. While we assess the situation, ‘Talking with Chris Hardwick’ will not air on AMC, and Chris has decided to step aside from moderating planned AMC and BBC America panels at Comic-Con International in San Diego next month.”
Yesterday, we reported that many actors’ representatives were looking for AMC to hold off on airing pre-recorded Talking with Chris Hardwick episodes, feeling as though it would leave celebrities in an uncomfortable position. (This weekend’s premiere episode was to feature Donald Glover of Atlanta and Solo: A Star Wars Story.)
AMC made no mention of Talking Dead in their statement, but given that this show does not premiere until October, they have more time to make a decision on that subject.
In a statement late Friday, Hardwick denied Dykstra’s allegations of assault with the following statement:
“These are very serious allegations and not to be taken lightly which is why I’ve taken the day to consider how to respond … I was heartbroken to read Chloe’s post. Our three year relationship was not perfect—we were ultimately not a good match and argued—even shouted at each other—but I loved her, and did my best to uplift and support her as a partner and companion in any way and at no time did I sexually assault her.
“When we were living together, I found out that Chloe had cheated on me, and I ended the relationship … For several weeks after we broke up, she asked to get back together with me and even told me she wanted to have kids with me, ‘build a life’ with me and told me that I was ‘the one,’ but I did not want to be with someone who was unfaithful,” he added in the carefully crafted response. “I’m devastated to read that she is now accusing me of conduct that did not occur. l was blindsided by her post and always wanted the best for her. As a husband, a son, and future father, I do not condone any kind of mistreatment of women.”
We suggest that you read Dykstra’s full essay over on Medium for greater context as to her own words regarding Hardwick, who she does not name. However, anyone who has listened to the Nerdist Podcast over the years will realize quickly that he is the subject of what she writes.
We welcome your comments on the story below. Meanwhile, like CarterMatt on Facebook for more updates. (Photo: AMC.)