We’re back for the second time this fall with some analysis on “The Newsroom,” and this time, we’re doing it without actually a whole lot to go on.
Basically, what we’ve got for you below is a deconstruction of the five or so seconds that the HBO series is in the limelight of the longer trailer below about their entire fall programming slate. The relevant footage begins at around 14 seconds in, for those who want to follow along.
1. Mackenzie (Emily Mortimer) has a gun – This is the first bit of footage that you see, and it is almost for a split second. Why is she at a shooting range in the first place? It’s a curious question, given that a news producer is not really someone who need to use a firearm. Maybe she finds it relaxing for whatever reason, or she feels like her life is being threatened.
2. Will (Jeff Daniels) in a tux – Is he at an awards gala, or some ridiculous fancy dinner? You typically don’t wear a tux, even as an adult, unless someone tells you it is a good idea to do so. This is not something that this character would just strap on.
3. The hand-slap – In one of the funnier moments of this clip, you see Charlie (Sam Waterston) exchange some sort of victory low-five with Will. Maybe it’s standard office behavior or something more.
4. A conversation – Charlie is in his office speaking to someone, and it appears from the back of her had to be Leona (Jane Fonda).
5. Assorted shots – You can get a quick glimpse in here of Neal (Dev Patel), but he is not the only one. There’s also a quick look at Sloan (Olivia Munn), and you can see Will at his desk.