Sunday night, “Downton Abbey” returns to PBS for its second episode of the season … and one that you’re going to probably be pretty emotional to watch. It’s the toughest episode of the season, and one that you’re going to want to talk about basically the moment that it finishes airing. This was the third episode of the season in the United Kingdom, and one of the few that did not have any sort of preview screener sent out to the British press. That is how protective they were of it.
Now, let’s give you a few more details as to what to expect. There aren’t any major spoilers ahead; just five teasers as to the action ahead!
1. Who is ready for a big party! That is what we’re going to see at the Abbey this week, as the families spare no expense in ensuring that there is a lavish affair held that brings lords and members of the nobility to the Abbey.
2. You’re going to get a first look at Tom Cullen as Lord Anthony Gillingham, a man who certainly seems to be kind-hearted. His biggest problem seems to be being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
3. The opera singer in the scene is Nellie Melba, a real-life figure who was extraordinarily wealthy during the days of Edwardian England.
4. The story with Lady Edith has been simmering for most of the season, and we are going to be getting ever closer to it starting to come to a boil.
5. The biggest thing that happens in this episode is something that you really shouldn’t see coming. There is going to be an event that is so shocking, you may be sick to your stomach when it happens. It’s not for the faint of heart, and that is something that you should be warned about before it airs.
We’ll be back later with a full review of this shocker, so be sure to stay tuned for more on that. Also, head over to the link here for some more “Downton Abbey”-related scoop, or here if you want to sign up for updates on this show and so much more.