Miley Cyrus’ Nirvana cover of ‘Smells like Teen Spirit’ may have taken the number one spot for the worst cover of all time according to a Rolling Stone readers poll, but pop princess Britney Spears actually appeared on the list twice.
When William Shatner covered the 1967 Beatles song ‘Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds’ many people thought it was a joke, but quickly realized that it wasn’t. Although people didn’t seem to like it, the song quickly traveled and has become a bit of a legend in its own right.
While Shatner’s strange cover turned into something kinda special, we’ll never fully understand why Miley Cyrus decided to cover a song like ‘Smells like Teen Spirit’ since her own music style is nothing like grunge. People were just as disappointed with Miley’s cover as they were with ‘American Idol’s’ Casey Abrams terrible rendition of the Nirvana hit. Some songs just shouldn’t be covered and that is clearly one of them.
Check out the top ten list of worst covers as picked by Rolling Stone readers
10. William Shatner, ‘Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds’ (the Beatles)
9. Jessica Simpson, ‘These Boots Are Made For Walkin” (Nancy Sinatra)
8. Avril Lavigne, ‘Imagine’ (John Lennon)
7. Britney Spears, ‘I Love Rock & Roll’ (Joan Jett)
6. Alien Ant Farm, ‘Smooth Criminal’ (Michael Jackson)
5. Britney Spears, ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’ (Rolling Stone)
4. Sheryl Crow, ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’ (Guns N’ Roses)
3. Madonna, ‘American Pie’ (Don McLean)
2. Limp Bizkit, ‘Behind Blue Eyes’ (the Who)
1. Miley Cyrus, ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ (Nirvana)
Photo: Angela George