All in all, it’s safe to say that this may be one of the best seasons of “So You Think You Can Dance” ever. Not only were there some memorable contestants this time around, but we have seen thrilling judges, inventive choreography, and some of the best dancing on the show yet.
In looking back at the top performances of the season prior to the finale, it’s really hard to decide on the best. Granted, most of them come from either Melanie Moore, Marko Germar, or Sasha Mallory (three out of the four remaining) — but even this top five list cannot adequately express just how fantastic a number of these dances truly were.
5. Marko Germar with Allison Hooker, “I Know It’s Over” – While Marko has been overshadowed at times this season by having Melanie as a partner until the top ten, he would probably be winning this season were it not for the fact that we already have two incredible dancers on the show. This was the dance that best showcased Marko’s pain from his past, and it brought guest judge Lady Gaga to tears.
4. Melanie Moore with Marko Germar, “Turn to Stone” – This was the routine that established Marko and Melanie as frontrunners from the beginning of the competition. Choreographer Travis Wall created a chilling spectacle that captured the ethereal quality of love, and also the finality that constitutes our lives.
3. Sasha Mallory and Kent Boyd, “Fool of Me” – There are a number of powerful Sasha pieces that could be included here (and even her routine with Melanie is a candidate), but what made this dance in particular stand out was how badly you could feel the emotion within every movement Sasha made. Guest judge Christina Applegate said it best — Sasha “broke her heart” (and many others) with just the simplest of movements here.
2. Sasha Mallory and tWitch, “Misty Blue” – For the second season in a row, a routine featuring tWitch is in the top two of the season. While his hip-hop with Alex Wong was stellar because it was such a surprise, this worked so well because it brought both an emotional connection and a sense of purpose to the floor. Along with Alex’s routine, these are the two best hip-hop numbers ever performed on this show.
1. Melanie Moore with Marko Germar, “I Got You” – This may be one of the first times a dance that made us feel cynical at first (so much so that we didn’t even rank it at the top) ended up being the one we have watched on repeat more than any other. While it is fantastic to be moved sometimes and brought to tears, this was just such an inspiring, fun dance about finding love in an unexpected place — and it became addictive to watch. Melanie and Marko channeled every fantastic romantic comedy of all time into a Tabatha & Napoleon routine that literally had every member of the judging panel kissing each other. It was fun, and the entire seven-plus minute segment is something we will never get tired of watching. Brilliant dancing, and overall just a heartwarming moment from the season.
What was your favorite routine from this season?