It’s hard writing about “So You Think You Can Dance” this season without feeling a little bit of anxiety. Despite some strong dancing and some contestants that are genuinely easy to root for (plus one of the best hosts on TV in Cat Deeley), there are still some concerns that this could be the show’s final season thanks to the low ratings. This once-a-week format — coupled with a long break thanks to the Olympics — has crippled the show of much of the momentum it usually has. Hopefully, the numbers will go up and the show can find a way to regain some of that in the final few weeks.
Since we don’t know about the show’s future yet, though, we are now back to where we take part in another key tradition for this show — ranking some of the top contenders to take home the title at the end of the season.
4. Chehon Wespi-Tschopp (last week: #2) – We’ve admitted to being a big Chehon fan, but we may be one of the people who is. He has landed in the bottom multiple times this season, and eventually this is going to catch up to him solos are not going to be able to save him anymore.
3. Will Thomas (last week: #4) – Somehow, Will has found a way to avoid danger just about every week this season, and we’re still trying to figure out how he does it. He has yet to have that sort of breakthrough performance that the two top contenders have.
2. Cyrus Spencer (last week: #3) – The longer Cyrus stays, the more dangerous he gets. He is learning how to dance beyond just various forms of hip-hop and animation, and he clearly has the fans on his side as an underdog. Can he win? We still don’t know, but he is establishing himself as one of the top personalities this season.
1. Cole Horibe (last week: #1) – Despite an injury and some issues last week, Cole still has an inside track here. His status on this show has never been in doubt, and he also brings so much more than the able than just his signature karate style. When someone on this show does so much, it’s hard to really diminish their chances following one weaker performance.
4. Whitney Carson (last week: #2) – We said last week that Whitney and Lindsay Arnold have a hard time differentiating themselves, and now that their partners are changing every week this may just be about who is the best any given week. Last week, Lindsay just so happened to have the edge.
3. Tiffany Maher (last week: #5) – She had one of the best discos we have ever seen on “So You Think You Can Dance” last week, and this should carry her into safety this week despite going at the start of the show (something that has doomed many a contestant). What we are more worried about here is what happens when she faces off against one of the ballroom superstars and our current favorite in the final three.
2. Lindsay Arnold (last week: #4) – See what being on the Hot Tamale Train can do for you? Lindsay’s strong Broadway routing was something that rivaled her Bollywood with Cole from earlier this season in terms of greatness, and we would not be surprised to see her at the very end of this show.
1. Eliana Girard (last week: #1) – Eliana had already lifted Cyrus back when they were partners — and now, she is lifting even the show’s All-Stars to another level. There is something about how she dances that you cannot define, and it’s a combination of emotion, passion, and performance. We can’t wait to see what she does this week.
Who are some of your favorite dancers at the moment, and who do you think the final two is going to be? We want to hear some of your thoughts below! If you want to check out our review of last week’s episode, be sure and visit the link here.